Mandatory Training for Practice Staff
It would be wise to check guidance from the following to see if they are making specific training recommendations:
- Training resource for GP practice staff (bma.org.uk) This guidance highlights when training should be carried out, fees, avoiding training duplication and recognising training from other platforms, as well as professional responsibility and avoiding excessive mandatory training.
- GP mythbuster 70: Mandatory training considerations in general practice – Care Quality Commission (cqc.org.uk)
- Health and Safety Executive
- Resuscitation Council
- Enhanced Services Specifications
- Learning Disability and Autism Training
- Under the Health and Social Care Act 2022, health and social care providers will need to complete training on learning disability and autism, but can find an alternative training package if they prefer.
Mandatory’ means that specified training is compulsory at the discretion of the employer, however there are many other examples of good practice in training that you may wish to follow to keep all staff up to date. Mandatory training differs for Staff/Managers and Practice Nurses but is basically as follows and Wessex LMCs recommends:
- Induction: once (within first month of employment)
- Fire Safety: annually
- Manual Handling: once then refreshed when necessary
- Infection Control: annually
- CPR/Basic Life Support: annually
- Health and Safety
- Safeguarding (adults and children):
- Information Governance
- Annually for staff who have access to personal information. NHS Digital – The Data Security and Protection Toolkit is an online self-assessment tool that allows organisations to measure their performance against the National Data Guardian’s 10 data security standards.
- You may wish to use our Lunch and Learn for this for the whole practice.
- Customer Service Skills
- Conflict Resolution: 3 yearly refresher. You may wish to use our Lunch and Learn training resources for this. We have one on Customer Service Skills and one on Understanding Conflict
- Equality and Diversity: once with refresher if required. Once again we have written a Lunch and Learn to cover this topic
- Mental Capacity Act: once with refresher if required.
We also have written a Lunch and Learn training resource to support this
- Managing Performance
- Recruitment and Selection
- Appraisal training
- Managing sickness and absence
- Risk assessment
For any information on local training courses to cover any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact Louise Greenwood on email@example.com
Free e-learning can be accessed at http://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Account/logon