Appraisal info with downloadable forms are here https://www.wessexlmcs.com/appraisalformsforstaff
Communication – consider use of
- Notice boards
- Social media https://www.wessexlmcs.com/socialmedia
If roles are changed for the nursing team, tell your insurer as their indemnity may change and they may not be covered to do the work asked for them if the insurer is not informed
Locum Cover/GP Performer Payments for Parental and Sickness
- Please click here to download NHS England’s Protocol in respect of locum cover or GP performer payments for parental and sickness leave
- Check here before looking for a locum https://www.wessexlmcs.com/toptipsforemployinglocums
- Make sure locums are shown the emergency trolley/resus/crash equipment on their first day
- Consider timing/frequency/value
Policies & Procedures
- Keep up to date.
- Your insurers may offer free HR advice.
- Refer to www.acas.org.uk
- Make sure confidentiality agreements are signed https://www.wessexlmcs.com/staffandconfidentiality
- Expert and impartial advice is delivered by our team of occupational health professionals. You can chat online to a specialist advisor, email a question or call 0800 032 6235 http:fitforwork.org/
Faculty of Physician Associates: http://www.fparcp.co.uk/employers/pas-in-general-practice
Recruitment & Induction
- Check CQC requirements http://www.cqc.org.uk/content/regulation-19-fit-and-proper-persons-employed
- Don’t forget the Care Certificate for new phlebotomists/HCAs https://www.wessexlmcs.com/healthcareassistantshcascarecertificate
- Know what qualifications are needed when employing a GP or nurse http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/register/employing_a_doctor.asp https://www.wessexlmcs.com/generalpracticenurse
- DBS – does your employee need one? https://www.wessexlmcs.com/dbs
- Check you and your nurses know the dates of their revalidation.
- Make sure everyone is shown the emergency trolley/resus/crash equipment on their first day
- Consider for all roles
The Institute of General Practice Management (IGPM)
The Institute of General Practice Management (IGPM) was formed in December 2020 with the aim of being recognised as the professional body that represents all managers working within general practice in the United Kingdom. Find out more information h http://www.businessballs.com/trainingneedsanalysis.pdf
Louise Greenwood chats to the IGPM reps for Wessex about what the IGPM is and how it can help Practice Managers. Listen to the podcast here
Lisa Fall MA.
Member of IGPM (SW Regional Rep; Dorset)
I’m Lisa & I am the IGPM representative for Dorset. I am Practice Business Manager at the Atrium Health Centre in Dorchester and have been here for 4½ years, previous to this I worked at the Adam Practice in Poole for 10 years, and before that a PCT (for those of you who remember them!) in Northamptonshire, so have quite a few years’ experience in Primary Care. I know how this job takes it’s toll on all of us so wanted to support my fellow PMs via the IGPM and am here for any form of support, chat or just even an ear to moan at. So please do contact me, I’m also happy to come along to any meetings (virtual or face-to-face). Special interests include how we can best share information, leadership, HR, and strategic planning.
Member of IGPM (Somerset & Wiltshire Rep)
I’m Nicky, the Regional Representative for Somerset and Wiltshire. I live in Wiltshire and worked at a practice there for nearly 10 years before changing jobs in 2017. I now work at Wells City Practice in Somerset and use the long drive each day to prepare myself for the day ahead and then to de-stress on the way home. I love my job and want to support new or struggling managers in general practice. I have been on the receiving end of a lot of support over the years and would like to give back. I am also keen to facilitate formal, role specific training for new and existing managers. I am happy to come and talk at PM meetings, conferences etc
Member of IGPM (Hampshire, Surrey & IOW Rep)
My name is Ed, and I have been in Practice Management since 2016 working across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. I’m currently the Managing Partner at Wickham Surgery in Hampshire. Before the NHS, I worked in the private healthcare sector, first in community pharmacy and then later for a large pharmaceutical. I’m passionate about the profession of Practice Management and leadership in Primary Care. I agree completely when Practice Managers are described as the backbone of GP Surgeries and I became involved with the IGPM to help with their vision in ensuring our issues and perspectives are heard and have representation at national level. I’d love to be invited to your PM meetings / forums to discuss and update all things IGPM. I’m also very happy to be contacted about general Practice Management queries - If I can help I will!
Member of IGPM (Hampshire Rep)
I fell into the NHS in 2007 when I started managing the office of a GP surgery in Bedfordshire. I relocated to Hampshire in 2010, after working for the CCG , I returned to practice in 2016, becoming a partner in my current practice in Jan 2022. I look forward to meeting you!
Tier 2 Visas for Practices
- See here for LMC guidance https://www.wessexlmcs.com/mandatorytrainingforpracticestaff
- TNAs are here http://www.businessballs.com/trainingneedsanalysis.pdf
Uniforms & badges
- Check there is conformity and consistency