The BaNES, Swindon & Wiltshire Local Medical Committee
The Committee of the Wiltshire LMC meets 5 times a year, and consists of 29 members, elected from 5 constituencies. In addition there is provision for the Committee to co-opt one GP to represent a particlualr area of expertise not otherwise represented on the Committee, a Trainee GP, and the Chief Executive or Treasurer of Wessex LMCs. Wiltshire LMC has co-opted the following members:
- the Chief Executive of Wessex LMCs
- Forces Representative
- Ophthalmic Medical Practitioner
The Committee can also invite 'Attendees', who may participate in the debates, but do not have a vote, and in Wiltshire these include all Directors of the Wessex LMCs.
Elections are held every two years under the terms of the LMC constitution, and all GPs are eligible for nomination and election. Sessional GPs i.e. those who are not Partners, may choose to stand in their geographical area, or for sessional seats.
An Executive Sub-Committee has been created, consisting of the LMC Chairman, the Vice Chairman, LMC Chief Executive and three other members, that deals with urgent matters and examines areas needing detailed consideration. In addition, members serve on several other Committees both locally and nationally.
Dr Anthony Downey
Anthony qualified in 1989 from Leeds University and undertook his junior hospital and GP training in West Yorkshire. Following that Anthony took up a partnership in Co. Durham for 3 years and then joined his wife in a 2-handed practice in Cornwall where he stayed for 7 years. Following which Anthony moved to Wiltshire in 2003 where he joined a small practice in Devizes, becoming senior partner in 2011, joining the LMC in 2004 and elected to Chairman of the Wiltshire LMC in 2012.
Dr Helena McKeown
Helena has been a GP principal at The Three Swans Surgery in Salisbury for nearly eighteen years and joined the LMC in 1998. Helena graduated from the RCGP Leadership Programme in 2004 and has been a nationally elected member and now represents the Wessex Faculty. She has been a BMA Council member for six years and was appointed through the public appointments process to the Standing Commission on Carers of which she is intending standing down after seven years in September 2014.
Helena has a broad knowledge of medico-politics and has chaired the Committee on Community Care and been a GPC member for nine years. Helena is a teacher, trainer, appraiser and appraiser representative and is an elected member of Wiltshire Unitary Authority and scrutinises healthcare on the Health Select Committee.
- Honorary Secretary, Salisbury Division (2002-)
- Honorary Secretary, SWRC (2010-)
- ARM Agenda Committee (2001-02, 2012-)
- GPC (2004-)
- BMA Council (2004-2006, 2008-)
- Ch. BMA Committee on Community Care (2004-)
- Public Health Committee (2006-2007, Co-opted 2007-2009, Deputy 2010-)
- Independently Appointed to the Standing Commission on Carers (2007-)
- RCGP Council member (2004- 2010, 2011-)
- Advisor to the Drugs Safety Research Unit 2000-2002
- Vice Chairman Wiltshire LMC (2012-)
- LMC Conference Agenda Committee (2002-2004, 2011-)
- Trainer (2005-)
- Appraiser (2003-)
- Vice Chairman, South Wiltshire PCT PEC (2000-2005)
- LMCs Constitution Framework - BSW LMC April 2016
- Committee Meeting Dates 2016
- Committee Meeting Dates 2017
- BSW (BaNES, Swindon & Wiltshire) Members from 01.04.2016
- Constitution of the Bath & North East Somerset (Banes), Swindon and Wiltshire (BSW) Local Medical Committee
- LMC Conference Agenda Motions 2014
- LMC Conference Agenda Motions 2015
- LMC Conference Report 2015