The BaNES, Swindon & Wiltshire Local Medical Committee
The Committee of the BaNES, Swindon & Wiltshire LMC meets 5 times a year, and consists of 29 members, elected from 5 constituencies. In addition there is provision for the Committee to co-opt one GP to represent a particular area of expertise not otherwise represented on the Committee, a Trainee GP, and the Chief Executive or Treasurer of Wessex LMCs. Wiltshire LMC has co-opted the following members:
- the Chief Executive of Wessex LMCs
- Forces Representative
The Committee can also invite 'Attendees', who may participate in the debates, but do not have a vote, and in Wiltshire these include all Directors of the Wessex LMCs.
Elections are held every two years under the terms of the LMC constitution, and all GPs are eligible for nomination and election. Sessional GPs i.e. those who are not Partners, may choose to stand in their geographical area, or for sessional seats.
Dr Tony Downey
Tony qualified in 1989 from Leeds University and undertook his junior hospital and GP training in West Yorkshire. Following that Anthony took up a partnership in Co. Durham for 3 years and then joined his wife in a 2-handed practice in Cornwall where he stayed for 7 years. Following which Anthony moved to Wiltshire in 2003 where he joined a small practice in Devizes, becoming senior partner in 2011, joining the LMC in 2004 and elected to Chairman of the Wiltshire LMC in 2012.
Dr Helena McKeown
Helena has been a GP principal at The Three Chequers Medical Practice in Salisbury for 21 years and joined the LMC in 1998. Helena graduated from the RCGP Leadership Programme in 2004 and served 13 years on the RCGP Council for Wessex. Helena was appointed through the public appointments process to the Standing Commission on Carers. She is on the BMA Council and is the deputy chair of the BMA's Representative Body.
Helena has a broad knowledge of medico-politics and has chaired the BMA's Community Care Committee and been a GPC member for 13 years. Helena is a trainer and Senior appraiser.
- Vice Chair Wiltshire LMC (2012-)
- Trainer (2005-)
- Appraiser (2003-)
- Vice Chairman, South Wiltshire PCT PEC (2000-2005)
- Deputy chair of the BMA's Representative Body (2016- )
- LMCs Constitution Framework - BSW LMC April 2016
- Committee Meeting Dates 2018
- BSW (BaNES, Swindon, Wiltshire) Medical Committee Members 2018-2022
- Constitution of the Bath & North East Somerset (Banes), Swindon and Wiltshire (BSW) Local Medical Committee
- LMC Conference Agenda Motions 2014
- LMC Conference Agenda Motions 2015
- LMC Conference Report 2015