Office opening hours: 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday. Offices closed on Bank Holidays.
Home Menu Search

Travel Vaccinations - FAQs

Funding & charging for vaccines

The section below is taken from the BMA’s Focus on Travel Vaccinations.

The following travel immunisations highlighted in green must be given as part of NHS provision through GMS & PMS Regulations.

As a practice you cannot charge for the following vaccinations: -


Travel immunisations that cannot be given as an NHS service and are not remunerated by the NHS as part of GMS/PMS services.

  • Hepatitis A (infectious Hepatitis) ­ first and second/booster doses
  • Combined Hepatitis A & B ­ two doses with a third for over 16s
  • Typhoid ­ first and second/booster doses
  • Combined Hepatitis A and Typhoid ­ first and second/booster doses
  • Tetanus, Diptheria & Polio ­ as given in the combined Td/PV vaccine
  • Cholera


  • Yellow Fever
  • Japanese B encephalitis
  • Tick borne encephalitis
  • Rabies


The immunisations above in the blue section are not prescribable as part of NHS services.

The contractor may therefore charge a patient registered for GMS/PMS/APMS services for the immunisation if requested for travel.

Travel immunisations that can be given as either NHS or as a private service

  • Hepatitis B (single agent) any dose
  • Meningitis ACWY (quadrivalent meningococcal meningitis vaccine; A, C, Y and W135)

This category is the one that causes most confusion. The ambiguity in this section stems from the regulations regarding the charging of patients that are registered with the practice. Schedule 5 of the NHS regulations 4 states that:

“The contractor may demand or accept a fee or other remuneration…. for treatment consisting of an immunisation for which no remuneration is payable by the Primary Care Trust and which is requested in connection with travel abroad”

This wording leaves the decision as to whether the practice levies a charge or not to the discretion of the practice. The regulations do not impose any circumstances or conditions as to when these immunisations should be given on the NHS or as a private service nor do they allow any outside organisation to decide which option should be chosen.

Practices therefore need to be clear about their policy to avoid falling foul of regulations that prohibit charging NHS registered patients. The service must be provided either entirely as an NHS process or entirely as a private service, and the following paragraphs illustrate that difference.

To provide this as an NHS service, the practice would: -

  • either prescribe the immunisation on an FP10 (or national equivalent) or
  • (in England and Wales) provide the vaccine from purchased stock and claim reimbursement through the normal channels
  • the practice must not charge the patient for the administration of the vaccine


If a confirmatory certificate is requested by the patient, then the practice may charge for this, but cannot charge just for recording immunisation details for the patient’s personal record.

Alternatively, the practice may decide that providing this is as a private service and charge a patient registered for GMS services for the immunisation. In this situation this can either be provided on a private prescription or the patient charged for the supply from practice stock. In this situation a charge may be made for the administration of the vaccine.

It is important to avoid mixing these two scenarios. If these immunisations are provided as an NHS service, then no charge can be made to the patient other than for certification if requested by patient (which is not compulsory).

Practices also must ensure that their policy is non-discriminatory and that this is not done contrary to the Equality Act 2010 (formerly the Disability Discrimination Act).

NHS Covid Pass

An NHS COVID Pass shows your coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination details or test results. This is your COVID-19 status.

You may be asked to show your pass to travel abroad, or at events and venues in England asking for proof of your COVID-19 status.

Always check the entry requirements for the country or the venue you're visiting.

If you're planning to travel abroad, or want to know more about your COVID-19 status:

Competencies: Travel health nursing: career and competence development

In 2018 the RCN updated their guidance on “Competencies: Travel health nursing: career and competence development”.

Useful links



About this page...

Updated on Friday, 19 November 2021 6912 views