Office opening hours: 8.30am to 5.30pm Monday to Friday. Offices closed on Bank Holidays.
Home Menu Search

Music Licenses & PPL Licensing For Waiting Rooms

If you play music or have the television on in your waiting room, and/or you play music when using your 'hold' facility on the phone, then you probably need to obtain 'TheMusicLicence'.

Both Societies are very helpful when approached and will quote you the tariff for your business needs.

The Performing Rights Society (PRS) collects license fees on behalf of song writers, composers and publishers who own the rights to the musical and lyrical compositions and the Phonographic Performers Ltd (PPL) collects fees on behalf of the copyright owner that produced the recorded music.

In UK law, playing copyright music in public will generally require the consent (or license) of the copyright owner.  This applies to any audience outside the domestic or home circle. 

There are some areas of healthcare premises which are exempt from the PRS licensing requirement, but PRS is quite specific in stating that these exemptions do not apply to GP surgeries. 

PPL and PRS fees are now collected by one organisation and they have a specific webpage for healthcare at:

Contact details:

This page appears in...

About this page...

Updated on Sunday, 16 July 2023 4121 views