Mandatory Training for Practice Staff
There are no statutory regulations that specify how often primary care staff should be trained. Fundamentally, it is important that if anything untoward happened in your practice, the Partners could stand in front of a coroner or judge and justify that the training they had provided for their staff was sufficient to ensure they were competent, and confident to undertake the task given to them.
It would be wise to check guidance from:
- Health and Safety Executive
- Resuscitation Council
- Enhanced Services Specifications
to see if they are making specific training recommendations.
‘Mandatory’ means that specified training is compulsory at the discretion of the employer, however there are many other examples of good practice in training that you may wish to follow to keep all staff up to date.
Mandatory training differs for Staff/Managers and Practice Nurses but is basically as follows and Wessex LMCs recommends:
- Induction: once (within first month of employment)
- Fire Safety: annually
- Manual Handling: once then refreshed when necessary
- Infection Control: annually
- CPR/Basic Life Support: annually
- Safeguarding (adults and children): e-learning is acceptable. Please see our safeguarding section for more info on this and our Lunch and Learn (Level 1) training resource.
- Information Governance: Annually for staff who have access to personal information. NHS Digital - The Data Security and Protection Toolkit is an online self-assessment tool that allows organisations to measure their performance against the National Data Guardian’s 10 data security standards. https://www.dsptoolkit.nhs.uk/. You may wish to use our Lunch and Learn for this for the whole practice.
Conflict Resolution: 3 yearly refresher. You may wish to use our Lunch and Learn training resources for this. We have one on Customer Service Skills https://www.wessexlmcs.com/lunchandlearn/view/11 and one on Understanding Conflict https://www.wessexlmcs.com/lunchandlearn/view/12
- Equality and Diversity: once with refresher if required. Once again we have written a Lunch and Learn to cover this topic
- Mental Capacity Act: once with refresher if required. We also have written a Lunch and Learn training resource to support this https://www.wessexlmcs.com/lunchandlearn/view/13
For team leaders or managers of staff or appointed leads it is also recommended that the following are covered at least once:
- Managing Performance
- Recruitment and Selection
- Appraisal training
- Managing sickness and absence
- Risk assessment
- Health and Safety
For any information on local training courses to cover any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact Louise Greenwood on email@example.com
Free e-learning can be accessed at http://portal.e-lfh.org.uk/Account/logon