Click here to download the leaflet: Good Practice in Challenging Behavior In People with Learning Disabilities
This leaflet has been created by clinicians working in the Learning Disability Division of Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust.
Adults with Learning Disabilities: Down's Syndrome
The following information could be extremely useful to the GP's that undertake Annual Health Checks for People with Down's Syndrome. The information in question can be found on the Down's Syndrome Association website as below:
Adults with Learning Disabilities: Choking Prompts
In the last 18 months there have been preventable deaths of adults with a learning disability in Hampshire. All died from choking. All were known to have dysphagia. All had eating and drinking guidelines in place which were not being followed by paid carers. As a result we are urging GPs to provide two minutes of your consultation to prevent a death.
So what do you need to do? Flag the patient records when you receive details from the community learning disability service that they have dysphagia. Then, at each consultation, ask the following three questions of carers:
1. Are you aware the patient is at increased risk of choking and aspiration and has specific speech and language recommendations for eating and drinking?
2. Are you and your team following these eating and drinking guidelines?
3. Has there been a change in the patient’s ability to eat and drink?
If the answer to the first two is NO, please discuss with the carers the need to follow the recommendations and then follow your safeguarding processes. Please refer to your local Learning Disability Health Team if you have any concerns, or if the answer to the last question is YES. You can contact your local team by calling the West Hampshire Learning Disability Team on either (Totton & Waterside/West New Forest) 02380 383 444 or (Romsey/Eastleigh and Andover) 01329 316 226 or via email: email@example.com. By calling the North Hampshire Learning Disability Team on either (Winchester) 01962 764560 or (Basingstoke) 01256 776151 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. By calling the East Hampshire Learning Disability Team on either (Fareham and Gosport) 01329 316350 or (Havant and East Hants) 023 9244 1417 or via email: email@example.com. By calling the Southampton Learning Disability Team on 023 82 310300 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learning Disability Integrated Services - Locality Map, Please note the following:
- Southampton City isn't highlighted but their boundaries are fairly clear and this area is covered by Becky Sparks (Southampton City LD team).
- Green - New Forest, Eastleigh and Test Valley Districts are covered by Maria Cook (West Hants LD team)
- Purple - East Hants, Fareham, Gosport & Havant District are covered by Amy George (East Hants, Fareham and Gosport LD team)
- Ivory - Basingstoke and Deane and Winchester District are covered by (Marta Coates) (North Hants LD team)
My Life My Choice have worked with the Oxford City Community Learning Disability Team to make a short film to encourage people with learning disabilities to eat well, exercise and claim their right to an annual health check. To view the film click here: http://mylifemychoice.org.uk/get-healthy
Information for Practice Nurses and GP's: https://www.jostrust.org.uk/information-healthcare-professionals/information-practice-nurses-and-gps
Cervical screening video: https://www.jostrust.org.uk/video-page/smear-test-film