GP Workload Tool
The GP Workload Collection is intended to build on existing data collection providing management information (non identifiable data) to NHS Digital from practice clinical systems on a monthly basis, starting on 10th September 2017.
The collection includes:
- the number of appointments offered and scheduled;
- when appointments are offered and scheduled;
- the types of appointment offered and scheduled;
- the modes of appointments offered and scheduled;
- the healthcare professional types associated with appointments offered and scheduled;
- number of appointments attended and cancelled;
- an indication of the availability of appointments through the third next available appointment metric;
- aggregated counts of the demographic details (sex, age band, ethnicity group) of patients attending appointments;
- indicator of patients who attended more three or more appointments in the reporting period.
Whilst we have concerns around how accurately and meaningfully the data can be collected, it may assist national and local discussions around practice workload.
The data collection is mandatory (in line with section 259(5) of the Health and Social Care Act, all general practices in England must comply with the requirement) and practices should therefore sign up to the collection on CQRS.