Hot off the press! General Practice Nursing Workforce Development Plan
Date sent: Friday 10 March 2017
Email sent by Wessex LMCs, on Friday, 10 Mar 2017
The long awaited General Practice Nursing Workforce Development Plan has been published. https://www.hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/documents/3018%20HEE%20GPN%20plan%20WEB.pdf
Sue Clarke, Head of Workforce and Education at South Eastern Hampshire and Fareham & Gosport Clinical Commissioning Groups has kindly summarised this. South Eastern Hampshire and Fareham & Gosport CCGs are mentioned on page 23 and also as a best practice case study on page 15,
“It is divided into four sections (pre-reg., early years (new GPNs), enhancing (CPD, ANP, leadership etc), and HCA).
It makes 17 recommendations (pg 9 - 11).
- Recommendation 1: Raise the profile of general practice nursing careers.
- Recommendation 2: Increase the number of pre-registration nurse clinical placements in general practice.
- Recommendation 3: Introduce quality assurance of the learning environment in general practice for pre-registration nurses.
- Recommendation 4: Increase the uptake of general practice nursing as first destination employment for newly-qualified nurses.
- Recommendation 5: All new entrant nurses and support staff to general practice have access to an approved employer-led induction programme.
- Recommendation 6: All new nurses to general practice must receive a standardised and accredited competency based preceptorship programme to equip them for their general practice nursing role.
- Recommendation 7: GPN educator roles should be developed to cover all CCG areas.
- Recommendation 8: All GPNs should have access to accredited training to equip them for each level of their role.
- Recommendation 9: All GPNs and HCAs should have access to quality assured CPD to support career development and inform revalidation if appropriate.
- Recommendation 10: Improve general practice nursing retention by implementing measures to encourage nurses at all levels to remain within practice.
- Recommendation 11: Every nurse considering a return to general practice nursing should be offered a general practice specific ‘return to practice’ programme.
- Recommendation 12: All CCG areas should have identifiable GPN leaders.
- Recommendation 13: Actively promote the development of general practice nursing clinical academic careers.
I tust you will find this information beneficial.
Helene Irvine | Practice Nurse Advisor
My current working day at the LMC is officially a Wednesday. I apologies in advance for any delay in responding to emails.
Wessex Local Medical Committees Ltd
Phone | 023 8025 3874 Fax | 023 8027 6414
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Address | Churchill House, 122-124 Hursley Road, Chandler's Ford, Eastleigh, SO53 1JB