GPC's Campaign - Your GP Cares
Date sent: Monday 26 May 2014
Email sent by Wessex LMCs to all GPs and PMs in Wessex, on 26/05/2014.
Your profession needs your support
Your GP Cares is a campaign that was launched recently by the GPC to highlight the challenges that we face in general practice.
The surveys that the LMC recently undertook has confirmed what many of us already knew. General practice is currently facing massive challenges relating to workload, recruitment and retention without any realistic solutions that are clear and visible.
The GPC’s campaign aims to raise these issues with the general public, our patients and with the Politicians. This will not happen without support from LMCs and grassroots GPs.
The GPC is asking for long-term sustainable investment in general practice to:
- Attract, retain and expand the number of GPs.
- Expand the number of practice staff.
- Improve premises GP services are provided from.
The environment in which GPs are striving to provide services is increasingly challenging.
The burning issues are:
- An increased demand on general practice caused by demographic changes, more complex health needs and some care moving out of hospitals is all contributing to unsustainable pressures on GP services.
- Based on the current number of doctors working as GPs, and the staff who support them in the general practice team, there are simply not enough hours in the day to meet everyone’s needs.
- Practice are struggling to recruit to vacant posts in their practices and to find locum cover so that patients can still be seen if a colleague is sick or absent.
- The increasing demand and workload pressures are leading to low morale and stress causing many GPs to leave the profession or to consider early retirement.
- Many GP practice buildings are old and need investment to create more room for patients to be seen or simply to make them fit for purpose.
- GPs and their practice teams must have greater support to deliver high quality services that meet the requirements of all their local patients.
What can you and your practice do now to support the campaign?
You must watch the GP Cares video, this is available on youtube:
Add this link to your practice website – it provides a good explanation of the current issues.
Download practice posters from the BMA website.
Consider emailing your local MP – click here.
You could sign up and support the campaigns – click here.
You could include this information and web address in a newsletter to your patients.
Dr Nigel Watson
Wessex LMCs Ltd