DBS: Create & Submit an Application and FAQ's
Please be advised that with effect from the 1 September 2022, any new DBS applications that are initiated will no longer be eligible for a refund. Therefore, please ensure when initiating and paying for a DBS check for either a new employee or existing member of staff that it is definitely required in the first instance. The only exceptions to this being where a duplicate has accidently been created by the applicant or the person for whom the DBS is required does not take up the post and the LMC has not already initiated work on the application; refunds made will be subject to a £10 administration fee.
As you are aware, Wessex LMCs are offering a DBS service for Covid-19 Volunteers at an administration charge of £10.00 per application.
To ensure the process goes through as quickly as possible please note the following:
- All Covid-19 applications must be marked as VOLUNTEER. Please do not select Enhanced or Standard else you will be charged at the higher rates.
- Please ensure that the role starts with "COVID-19 VOLUNTEER. . . . . " followed by the role the applicant is undertaking.
Alternatively, you can use the Workforce Bureau to process your Covid-19 Volunteer DBS applications free of charge. However, one point to bear in mind with the Workforce Bureau is that they might then ask the applicant to work in a different practice to that of your own, the applicant can of course specify but there are no guarantees.
Please read the 'Who Needs DBS Check ' guidance for an update regarding DBS checks for Community Volunteers and Healthcare & Social Care Workers during this pandemic.
Wessex LMCs Disclosure and Barring Service - DBS (Previously known as CRB)
Wessex LMCs is pleased to be able to offer this service to our practices.
Please read the 'Who Needs DBS Check' guidance carefully and if, having read it, you wish to apply, please Register for an account on the website or Log In if you already have one. Once logged onto the website, please return to this page you will be able to create and submit an application or view the status of existing application.
Your DBS application must be completed by using a laptop or computer. Please DO NOT use a mobile phone. Thank you.
If you yourself require a DBS check, please do not apply on behalf of yourself, please speak to your manager about arranging this for you. Your manager will need to initiate your application and verify your identity documents for us. Should you create your own application online the system will not allow you to proceed. Please ask a manager to create the application for you.
Please note: only the applicant will be sent a DBS certificate, the practice will not be sent a copy of this. The practice will need to request sight of the certificate from the applicant and record a note of the certificate number and date of issue on the staff file of the applicant for CQC purposes.
- Create a new DBS application: Please Log In to the website or Register if you do not already have an account and return to this page to proceed. Click on the 'Start a new DBS Application' button.
- Complete and submit an existing application: Please Log In to the website or Register if you do not already have an account and return to this page to proceed. Please click on the applicants name in blue to open the application and complete and submit details.
- Check the status of an application: Please Log In to the website or Register if you do not already have an account and return to this page to view the status of an existing application.
- Identity Documents A listing of ID documents accepted by DBS. Wherever possible, where you hold a document containing a photograph from the approved identity document list, this should be submitted
- DBS applications must be completed by using a Laptop or computer. Please DO NOT use a mobile phone.
The Online Process: Frequently Asked Questions Troubleshooting for practice managers and applicants completing an online application. A step by step user guide and video explaining the online process can also be found here.
How much is a DBS Check?
Effective from the 6th April 2022, there is a decrease in DBS processing costs, as below. This will be evident on the payment acknowledgement you will receive when processing the payment via FourteenFish:
Volunteer: £10.00 (no change)
Increasingly we are receiving a number of notifications, once a DBS has been initiated by the practice and LMC work commenced, that the applicant will not be taking up the post and that the DBS is no longer required - currently where possible we refund the majority of the cost less a £5.00 admin fee. However, upon reflection this admin fee does not actually cover the payment processing costs, let alone the admin time already spent on the application, postage incurred etc, hence from the 1st February 2022 our admin fee will be aligned for both Enhanced and Standard DBS applications (as the amount of work involved in either application process is the same), postage increases and payment processing costs have also been taken into account.
Therefore, going forward we will be charging a £19.00 + VAT admin fee on Enhanced and Standard DBS applications that have been initiated by the practice and LMC work commenced on them - see Refund (a) in table below which reflects the actual amount that will be refunded in this instance. However, where an application has been initiated by the practice and no longer required or a duplicate created in error and NO work commenced on the application, then a £8.33 + VAT processing fee will be charged - see Refund (b) in table below which reflects the actual amount that will be refunded in this instance.
Please refer to the Wessex LMC and Client Agreement document making sure you have read the agreement between you (as the Practice) and us (as the Umbrella Body). Please click here ro read the Retention and Disposal of Disclosures and Disclosure Information Policy Statement