Given that CQC are inviting practices to spend around 30 minutes at the beginning of the inspection visit describing the practice, its ethos, what it does well etc, the LMC has produced a generic presentation template which you may wish to use for this purpose. Please feel free to adapt in any way you wish and if you think we've missed anything important, please do let us know.
CQC and Provider Companies
The LMC has been contacted on a number of occasions by local GP provider companies who are confused about the need to register with CQC.
The LMC has met with CQC to discuss this specific question and the following is a summary of those discussions:
- If the Provider Company actually PROVIDES the regulated activity then it will need to register with CQC eg the Provider Company employs the staff directly and is a completely separate legal entity*.
- If the Provider Company holds the contract for that regulated activity but sub-contracts all of the work to practices, then they do not have to register
- If a practice holds a sub-contract from the Provider Company to undertake regulated activity on its behalf then the practice statement of purpose would need to list this, particularly if the practice is providing the regulated activity from another ‘location’ rather than their own practice premises
- If a practice is providing the service to patients of another practice within its own premises and is already registered to provide that service for its own patients then there is no need to seek any further registration but the statement of purpose should show this
- If a Provider Company is planning to provide a service it cannot register with CQC until the contract has actually been awarded (the CQC regulations state the provider must be providing the service). CQC confirmed it cannot accept organisations onto its register who have made unsuccessful bids.
* It is also important to be clear if the place where the service is being provided is classed as a location and the rule set for this can be found at: http://www.cqc.org.uk/sites/default/files/documents/20120808_rp_poc2a_300900_v5_00_guidance_on_location_for_external_publication.pdf